Traditional egg-based pancakes are a no-no for vegans – but never fear, Tim Shieff is here, with a flippin’ brilliant recipe, suitable for everyone. Tim makes his with fresh blueberries, but you can use whichever fresh fruit you’ve got.
These vegan pancakes start with a base of flaxseed, a good source of omega 3, which is particularly important in diets that don’t include oily fish. Check out Tim’s pancake video below, or read the full recipe here.
5 TIPS FOR PERFECT VEGAN PANCAKES
- Flaxseed forms a paste when it is mixed with water, and it’s this that gives body to your pancake mix. Make sure you allow the mix to thicken fully by leaving aside for a few minutes.
- Keep a nice gap around your pancake batter when you ladle it into the pan. This means they won’t run into each other, and will stay nice and round.
- When frying your pancakes, wait for bubbles to form on the surface before flipping. This means the heat has spread through the middle of your batter.
- Tim uses a wide metal fish slice to flip his pancakes to make sure they don’t split or tear while he turns them.
- Keep your pancakes warm while you make more by keeping them in the oven on a very low heat until you’re ready to tuck in.
Feeling inspired? Find more pancake recipes here, and check out our 17 healthy ways to pimp your pancakes this Shrove Tuesday.