Gorgeously juicy beef, crisp and golden pastry and a layer of soft, flavour-packed mushrooms – the perfect beef Wellington is a beautiful thing! It’s a proper special occasion dish, and well worth learning how to make perfectly.
Armed with our six top tips (below), you can turn out a showstopper, every time.
Find Jamie’s full recipe for Beef Wellington here.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT WELLINGTON
- Sear your beef before wrapping in pastry. This time in the pan will ensure the delicious juices stay in the meat while it bakes – meaning the pastry doesn’t get soggy. Plus, searing is a chance to add extra flavour: just place a sprig of rosemary, some sea salt and black pepper into the pan, too.
- Chop your onions, garlic and mushrooms finely. This will make them easier to spread onto the pastry, and easier to wrap around the beef.
- It’s important to seal your pastry parcel carefully around the beef, as any air pockets will expand in the oven and explode.
- Be generous with the excess pastry at the ends of your Wellington, and seal them really carefully to make sure none of the delicious juices run out during roasting.
- Pre-heat the baking sheet before placing your wrapped beef in the oven. The hot sheet will give the Wellington’s base the best chance of getting lovely and crisp.
- Finally, don’t forget the all-important egg wash. It’s a little job that makes a massive difference – the golden glaze brings everything together and looks fantastic!
If you want more of Jamie’s top tips for the perfect been wellington, get them here:
For more showstopping roast ideas, check out our collection of Sunday lunch ideas, or read our feature on 7 incredible roasts!