Something magical happens when you spoon orange curd over vanilla ice cream. And by magical, we mean it tastes just like a Creamsicle.
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated blood orange zest
- ½ cup fresh blood orange juice
- ½ cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Vanilla ice cream, softly whipped cream, olive oil, and flaky sea salt (for serving)
Whisk eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl until pale and thick, about 4 minutes. Bring blood orange zest and juice, lemon juice, and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, gradually add half of juice mixture to egg mixture, then whisk egg mixture into remaining juice mixture in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until bubbles subside and mixture is thick enough to coat spoon, about 3 minutes.
Off heat, whisk in butter a few pieces at a time, incorporating completely before adding more. Transfer curd to a medium bowl and press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Chill until cold, at least 3 hours.
To serve, spoon ice cream into bowls and top with curd and whipped cream. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
Do Ahead: Curd can be made 5 days ahead. Keep chilled.