- Dish type
- Nut and seed cakes
- Walnut cake
This delicious cake is incredibly moist. It's flavoured with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, apples, walnuts and raisins. The perfect treat for afternoon tea!
28 people made this
- 500g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 225g butter or margarine
- 400g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 625g apple sauce
- 175g chopped walnuts
- 300g raisins
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:50min ›Ready in:1hr20min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Grease and flour a 20x30cm or similar sized tin. Mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the apple sauce. Fold in the walnuts and raisins. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(23)
Reviews in English (18)
ive made the healthy banana cake today lovely.-02 Feb 2016
Lovely cake, very moist and tasty. Half of the mixture would have been ample for my tin. Had enought to make 10 muffins-04 Oct 2015
by Minnesota Kris
I disagree with previous raters about the heaviness - I made two modifications: added 1/2 tsp of salt and used TWO baking pans, one 9X9 and the other 9X13. The final product was light, moist and very tasty. I would definitely use this recipe again.-12 Jan 2008